Providing small grants of up to £500 towards events and services that commemorate World War 2 (WW2) VE Day.
Events and services must take place in Thurrock and bring residents together. Examples include street parties, afternoon tea, exhibitions and formal services.
VE Day was 8 May 1945, and this year is its 75th anniversary. To find out more, go to IWM: What you need to know about VE Day.
Who can apply
Any community group can apply for a grant. If your group is does not have a constitution, you should contact your closest local community forum.
We're inviting applications from groups that can show their event will:
- clearly and positively commemorate WW2 VE Day
- take place in Thurrock
- provide maximum community benefit for the grant invested
- have taken reasonable steps to get the best price when spending grant money
- have the most residents genuinely involved and contributing their gifts and talents
- involve people from different parts of the community working together
Applications will not be eligible if they:
- fail to clearly and positively commemorate WW2 VE Day
- do not take place in Thurrock
- do not bring people together
- will need on-going funding
- cannot show they would benefit the community
- promote any faith or political belief system – although faith projects that support the wider community can be supported
Street closures and event planning
There are no charges for street closures for charitable or community events, but you must have applied to close streets for small events at least 8 weeks before the planned date.
Large events may need a longer notice period and will be subject to Safety Advisory Group processes. We will provide details of these processes on request.
How to apply
You can download an application form below, either as a Microsoft Word document or a PDF file.
Small grants for World War 2 Victory in Europe (VE) Day events
Send us your completed application form between Monday 3 February 2020 and the closing deadline of 11pm, Thursday 5 March 2020.
You can email us if you need more information on street closures and planning events, or if you have any questions about the application process.